Responsibilities for using and managing the Email and Calendaring Service are allocated as follows:
Individual staff members will:
- manage their email in accordance with University policies;
- report issues and requests for service to their local IT Support staff.
Faculty / business area management will:
- make arrangements for the provision of user support and training;
- manage the approval of requests for additional email storage and pay the associated charges;
- contact HR to inform them when staff are departing so that their Pheme record can be updated;
- for departing members of staff, make appropriate transition arrangements for the staff member's mailbox (prior to deletion) and, where relevant, arrange replacement owner/delegates for non-user accounts.
Owners of distribution list, resource, external contact or role-based account will:
- manage membership of distribution lists for which they are the designated account manager;
- manage resource bookings where they have delegate authority;
- authorise user accesses for role-based mailboxes for which they are the designated account manager;
- authorise changes to external contacts for which they are the designated account manager.
Local IT support will:
- provide support for the installation and configuration of software used to connect to the service. This may be a desktop client such as MS Outlook, or Entourage, or a web browser such as Internet Explorer;
- be the first point of contact for staff who require support;
- advise staff on how, when and why to archive email;
- advise on, and authorise creation of, and manage, non-staff accounts (distribution lists, role-based accounts, bookable resources, etc.) for staff in their area;
- configure resource accounts for their area;
- for staff in their area, configure accesses to role-based mailboxes;
- manage the "ownership" of resource accounts;
- investigate issues, using the information available via the ECS administration tools;
- escalate incidents to IS via the Service Desk as required.
Information Services will:
- provide facility for automatic creation of user accounts for new staff;
- provide automated process for de-provisioning user accounts of departing staff;
- provide facility for requested creation of non-user accounts (distribution lists, role-based accounts, bookable resources, etc.), and their associated email addresses;
- remove non-user accounts that owner departments determine are no longer required;
- provide support and assistance to enable local IT support staff to support their departmental users;
- provide SPAM filtering;
- provide anti-virus scanning of incoming and outgoing email;
- enable recovery of data resulting from system failure.